Saturday 21 January 2017

Time to get back into blogging

So I'm back.

It's been a year or so since the last post, not counting aloombabroad.blogspot.co.uk which accounted for my whereabouts for half of 2015. If you haven't already read it, take a look now.

So what have I been up to I hear you ask? Well, I've been writing non-stop which is pretty much my life. I've entered lots of competitions for writing and had lots of rejections - story of my life!

But I keep going. 'Never give up,' that's my motto.

Anyway, this time, I'm going to share a piece I wrote for a short play competition that was hosted through the BBC writers room. Little Pieces of Gold were hosting a competition for a 10 minute stage play about second chances. The project was called 'Never Too Late Too Dream', and each writer had to focus on a social, political or religious message surround a second chance.

After sitting and thinking for a while, I started to jot down ideas. Some crazy and far out there, others simplistic and basic in their story but exciting enough to pursue. The key is having a topic that can grip an audience whilst trying to see a way past the problem. It sounds a lot easier than it is.

I settled on a social message and focused on social media as the theme. Social media is becoming a demon in the sense that people live their lives by it. If they're not updating their status about have a cup of tea, they're uploading pictures of their dinner (yes, I've done it too).

Anyway, my story was about Jasper and Tammie, housemates and old secondary school best friends. Jasper is a laid back, refined kind of guy who has no desire to put himself out of his comfort zone. He does what he wants, when he wants. Tammie on the other hand is a social media nut. She is always online, updating her status and photo albums. But now it has come to a point where it is unhealthy and affecting her chances of a happy future.

The story unfolds with the history of Tammie's ex boyfriend, a pawn shop and a helium balloon. It's kind of quirky but I liked it.

But it didn't get put forward and that's OK. It's all part of learning and building the craft, or so they tell me.

Anyway, I've just left my job and my girlfriend has moved back to her native, Ireland. I'm pursuing a career in writing, full steam ahead but finding it tough. But I'll refer you back to my motto above.

I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all of your feedback.